Friday, February 3, 2012

MY BAKAWALI





Assalamualaikum


Epiphyllum Anguliger kown as Bakawali, Ric Rac Cactus, Moon Cactus and Queen Of The Night. What is unique about this flower is it will only bloom at midnight.

I have this flower since 1997, actually my late father in-law Tan Sri Yom introduce me to this flower. Alfatihah to him. He said the flower brings luck as like the Chinese believe. Well he believes in the Chinese way. I guess because his background as business man.

The Chinese believes that the flower when bloom will bring luck and sometimes they will put red ribbon at each branches. They will put near to their business place or at home. They also believe that the root will die as when the owner died. Then if the flowers fail to bloom it is a bad luck for them.

Well far different from the Malay, they believe “Bunian” or some Dewa from Kayangan will be near the flower when it starts to bloom. Same as Chinese they also believe that the root will die when the owner die.

I haven’t got a chance to ask the Indian and I am sure that they also have their own believes for this flower.
Well…, I do not have any extraordinary believes, I just admire Allah swt ways in showing his power that can create such kind of life. The flower is so beautiful when it blooms. I have been waiting long time for mine to bloom. Alhamdulillah…. I have one coming. I managed to see one in Kak Ani’s house anyway. I waited 12 midnight and managed to get picture of it.

Cantik dan wangi…. I even stayed near the flowers till 1 am. Having a cigarettes and thinking how nice if I can share this with someone. However the sad part is once it blooms it will die the next day. How sad. Unique but sad and I bersyukur sangat pada Allah menunjukkan kekuasaanya.
Funny part is, looking at the flower and it’s unique way of life makes me think that to people sometimes they believe holding on and hinging in any situation are signs of great strength but like the flower, there are times when it takes much more strength when to let go then doing it. It blooms with beauty and fragrant smells and hanging on till few hours till it has to let go that beauty and smells and die. I learn that life is fair. If you have to let go, you have to let go and no one will ever know what you have to go through in letting go……